Don’t Let Your Disability Be A Hindrance
Several of the students who are preparing for GMAT have limited information about test accommodations.
Some of you might know what does it mean, but not sure how to apply for it and even if you are eligible or not.
GMAT coaching in Chandigarh and various other parts of the world contain students with different needs to which they cater.
Here’s a brief guide to help you know the exact definition, who all are eligible and how to apply for it.
By definition Test accommodation means to make certain modifications in a manner so that it adjusts to the unique needs of certain students (Physical disorders, learning disorders or limited English Language skills),to demonstrate their ability in a testing situation objectively.
The first question that arises is who all are eligible for Testing accommodations and the categories that GMAC-Graduate management admission council (Owner of GMAT exam) recognizes:
Americans with disabilities act specifies disability as any Physical or mental disorder that limits the Life activities of a person in a significant manner.
Several categories are included for eg.
- ADHD-Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Psychological disabilities: It has a wide list containing many disorders such as Depression and Post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Learning and cognitive disorders: For eg. Autism, dyslexia (Difficulty in reading), Dyscalculia (difficulty in arithmetic calculations), Traumatic brain Injury.
- Physical and systemic disabilities: For eg. Cerebral palsy, chemical sensitivities, cancer, aids, spinal cord injuries.
- Sensory disabilities: It means when a sense organ no longer works normally. For eg. Low vision or hearing Loss.
The kind of Accommodations that are provided:
GMAT aspirants who qualify for the test taking with accommodations are provided with the following:
- Extra test time (50% or 100% additional time)
- Extended or additional rest breaks
- A medical device is allowed in the testing room.
- A trackball mouse
- A reader who will read the questions in the test and make the response on the part of the Test taker
- Enlarged font on the screen
- A sign language interpreter
How to Apply:
- GMAT handbook supplement for test takers with disabilities (http://www.gmac.com/~/media/Files/gmac/GMAT/GMAT_Supplement.pdf)
Lists a step by step that you need to complete to apply for accommodation.
- Create a profile on mba.com creating a profile on mba.com is persuaded even if the applicant is not seeking accommodations.
- The supplement contains the GMAT exam accommodation request form which the candidate must complete.
- A clinical documentation as a proof of the ailment is required.
- The complete GMAT test accommodation request form is to be sent along with the necessary documents and appointment fee to Pearson VUE by post or fax.
- Fax: 1 (952) 681-3681
- Postal mail:
- Pearson VUE
- attn.: GMAT Disability services
- PO Box 581907
- Minneapolis, MN 55458-1907 USA
How long will it take for your admission to process:
In 2-4 days the test fee is processed by the PEARSON VUE and subsequently a confirmation is sent to the applicant after which application is prepared for analysis by the GMAC accommodation specialists.
In the next 2-3 days, the application is entered into the database and depending on the nature of the condition an external medical expert may be sought for the review.
In the next 17 days, the application is reviewed by the GMAC accommodation specialists and the independent external medical expert. Within the 25 calendar days of the application submission, GMAC tries to complete the review process and to determine the eligibility.
In the time of the next 4 days, a written response is sent to the applicant . It must be noted that the time specified for the response by the GMAC would be made if the applicant chooses the option of Email. The time of response by postal mail is not guaranteed.
A person must not wait until the last minute to apply for accommodations as several students lose out on applying for Business schools before the due date because of the period of almost a month that the application process takes.
GMAT coaching in Chandigarh aims to comprehensively guide their students through each step successfully so that they can get into a Business school of their choice and caliber.